Tuscan Olive Oil Mill
Tuscan Olive Oil Mill
extra-virgin olive oil
extra virgin olive oil italy
extra-virgin olive oil tuscany
Tuscan extra virgin olive oil
extra virgin olive oil from italy
Gonnelli 1585 is a trademark that represents the relationship between the Gonnelli Family and the world of traditional oil production. In 1585 the family bought the farm of Santa Téa and the related Oil Mill built in 1426. Today the Gonnelly family, also owner of the Frantoio di Vertine in the Chianti Classico, represents one of the Italian excellences in the world of Extra Virgin Oil. The philosophy has always been to offer a healthy, genuine and natural product and this is only possibile by following directly every phase of the production: for each process we apply new innovative technologies to obtain an excellent product. A company that achived several millestones in the sector and has been a continuos endorser of the importance of oil as food with innumerable nutritional and health-related properties, as well as bearer of taste and value in every dish and preparation. Today Gonnelli 1585 offers a wide and varied range of products that includes sixteen different oils with their various tastes and aromas.
A few steps from the mill is the historic Bottega di Santa Téa, which offers the opportunity to taste and buy the various types of extra virgin olive oil produced. Thanks to the accurate and careful cultivation and selection of the olives and the monitoring of all the production phases of the supply chain, from the field to the table, we can obtain excellent products differentiated by flavors and aromas, from the most bitter and spicy to the sweetest and delicate, allowing you to choose your favorite.
In 2007 the Santa Téa Oil Mill was the first oil mill in the world to obtain the ISO 22005: 07 certification for traceability. A further guarantee for the consumer who is able to trace the history of every bottle purchased as far as its territorial origin.
It is an important goal reached by our company, in line with our philosophy. Traceability certification represents not only the instrument to safeguard and promote our uniqueness but also the symbol of transparency and guarantee that we offer to our consumers, increasingly in need of reassurance and confidence with regard to the food products they buy. It is a kind of map of the product which makes it possible to retrace the history, from the origin of its olives until production of the oil.
The Frantoio di Santa Téa is situated on a balcony over the Arno Valley, on Reggello’s Plateu on 400 meters above sea level along the valley of the Arno River in the heart of Tuscany. Its altitude, perfect sun exposure and welldrained terrain makes the Reggello area ideal for olive cultivation. The olive grove on the Santa Téa estate operates pursuant to current Organic Agricultural regulations without any use of pesticides or fertilizers. Today, the Frantoio di Santa Téa is considered one of the most cutting edge facilities in the world of extra virgin olive oil production on both qualitative and technological levels. This exclusive system, with its two lines of production, was designed and fitted inside the mill’s mechanical workshop and is renewed every year. The olives are all certified in terms of traceability, providing the consumer with maximum transparency. The maximum from harvest to the mill is until 15 hrs. only cold extraction under partial absence of oxygene.
The olives are transported to the mill to be pressed as soon as possible. The exclusive plant has two production lines that work on a continuos cycle and crushes the olives under nitrogen. It was designed and arranged inside the machine shop of the mill and has been modified each year to improve the final quality of the oil. The goal is to obtain pure evoo, without altering the natural flavour of the oil contained in each olive. It can work 100 quintals of olives for hour. 15 hours is the maximum time interval from harvesting to crushing.
Oil is conserved in stainless steel tanks and bottling takes place in an oxygenfree environment and under nitrogen for maximum preservation of its freshness. The current storage capacity is 350 tons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
The oil selected from the tank, according to the variety and organoleptic characteristics, is bottled upon receipt of the order. Each bottle is individually controlled by an operator, blown with air and filled with nitrogen and then bottled in the absence of oxygen.
Vertine Oil Mill: this is a continuous cycle oil mill that works exclusively with the cold process. It has a milling capacity of 24 quintals per hour. This new line of machines crushes olives in the absence of oxygen. The oil is then exposed to air until opening of the "Vertine Mill" Chianti Classico olive oil P.D.O. bottle by the customer. From October crushing takes place at the "Vertine Mill".
The medieval village of Vertine is located in the territory of Chianti, in the heart of Tuscany, and is situated on a 357-metre hill adjoining the village of Gaiole in Chianti. Vertine's Castle, also called the "walled village", overlooks the north-eastern extension of Chianti surrounded by the Chianti Mountains, a chain that divides Valdarno from the Upper Chianti.
Bastion of Florence, bordering the territory of Siena, the small village of Vertine has become the residence of the Ricasoli family several times since the 13th century, when the castles of the Chianti League were the subject of repeated acts of war such as sieges and pillaging. The Castle and the village have largely survived intact, thanks to a series of fortunate circumstances that have led to the development of military confrontations elsewhere in the region.
Vertine was the Chianti castle that has achieved the most consistency as a walled village. Today it is possible to see the beautiful walls, restored only around 1500, and the rectangular tower that had the function of bridge house.
The "oil hall" in the hills of Chianti, in Gaiole, offers its customers oil crushing in compliance with the production specifications of Extra Virgin Olive Oil P.O.D.. It is possible to book by phone and fax on 0577/749120 or via e-mail through the contact form available by clicking here.